Our Family
Easter 2010
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Reality Shows on MTV...yeah, I know
Remember when MTV used to show music videos? It seems like now the only thing on MTV are reality shows. Why am I writing about MTV and reality shows you might be wondering...well, because I am hooked on one! A few years ago I stumbled upon Laguna Beach, but didn't really get too interested in it. Then one day I watched a marathon of LB because I was bored or too lazy to move from in front of the tv or some other lame reason...I can't really remember. The show wasn't really that good, it was about a bunch of privileged teenagers living the good life in Orange County, California. A few years later there is a spinoff of LB called The Hills. Basically the producers took one of the main characters from LB and followed her to LA where she attends the Fashion Institute of Merchandising and Design and interns at Teen Vogue. They play some really good music on the show too. Why I ever turned this on, I don't know, but I was hooked from the first episode. Maybe it's just fun to watch someone else's drama, kind of makes your own life seem "normal". But is it normal for a 30 year old mother of two to be watching a reality show on MTV? Am I alone? I don't even watch MTV otherwise! It is one of those shows though that I get so into, you know where you really like one character and really can't stand another one. It's one of those shows where you talk to the characters on the TV while you're watching as if they might be able to hear you! I haven't done that regularly since I got hooked on Guiding Light with Michelle freshman year. Am I the only one who watches this show who isn't a teenager? Maybe I just spend too much time around teenagers, I don't know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
My name is Kristy, and I also watch reality shows on MTV. I am all about LB/The Hills and all of the Real World shows. (Even worse, I got hooked on Newlyweds, Ashlee, and Ashley Parker Angel a few years back.) But I digress...
I really love The Hills but am just a week behind everyone else since I have to DVR it and forget to watch it during the week. It's really good this season!
Thank you, Kristy! I was beginning to feel alone in my MTV reality watching. I also have to DVR the show, like just about everything else I watch! While it's a bit sad to say, I also was hooked on the other shows you mentioned. At one point, I was a Real World junkie, but haven't gotten into the last few seasons. Random, but one time a handful of years back, I met Lars (the German guy) from the Real World London in a restaurant in Fort Wayne. It was bizarre and I was such a dork!
So funny! I do watch MTV and we have the Hills over here, but it's dubbed and I've never really figured out what is going on and therefore couldn't get into it. I am however hooked an a mega cheesy german soap about a figure skater ("Alles was zaehlt"). I think it's okay to have a mini escape from reality to relax our brains. That's what I tell myself anyway... :)
Matt can't stand it, but I love watching all the Real Worlds and the Challenges. He thinks the people in the Challenges need to get real jobs. Maybe so, but those shows are my guilty pleasures.
I too wonder when I'm going to grow-up. I'm 30 with two kids also. Now back in high school and college days, thirty-year-olds with kids were deemed adults and so together and so boring. Now here I am and I still don't feel adultish, or at least not boring. Is that wrong?
I guess we all age and become more responsible, but we never have to be boring. So continue on with all the MTV viewing and all we do that makes us non-boring and old!
I loved reading your comments and this post was hillarious Kelly! I have to live vicariously through you guys b/c I don't even get MTV. We've sort of become minimalists when it comes to tv viewing. About all I watch is The Office, Food Network and House occasionally. I am so lame!!!!! I do make time for good books though. Ok ,that only made it worse. :-) I'm kind of missing the days when you guys used to go crazy for Dawson's Creek....
Post a Comment