Our Family

Our Family
Easter 2010

Saturday, October 18, 2008

She's as sweet as apple pie!

I had so much fun with Allison this evening. After putting Peyton to bed, Ally and I headed into the kitchen to make apple pies. We bought a bunch of apples at the grocery today and decided we wanted to bake pies. Ally used the apple peeler and slicer (which is a HUGE time saver) while I gathered all of the ingredients, bowls, pie tins, etc. We used Grandma Burns' recipe for the crust and the filling. This meant making our own pie crust which Allison couldn't wait to roll out with the big rolling pin! This might have been her favorite part of making the pies. I was amazed at what a great job she did, making sure to roll out the crust in all different directions to try to get a round crust. Then when she mixed the cinnamon and sugar mixture on the apples, she did a great job digging down under the apples as she mixed to be sure each apple was covered. She also liked getting a bit messy when she helped mix up the crumble topping with her hands. By the time we finished assembling the pies it was after 9pm. We decided to let them bake and we would enjoy them on Sunday afternoon.

While we were working, Allison asked me about the show I like to watch with the kids who couldn't walk. At first I had no idea what she was talking about because it seemed so random, but then I realized she was talking about Extreme Makeover Home Edition. One evening when I was watching the show, Allison caught part of it with me (about 5-10 minutes). On this particular episode, the family had three children, two of whom were wheelchair bound and they talked about their struggles because the parents had to carry the kids up and down the stairs in their house. She asked me a lot of questions about the kids and what she saw. She struggled a bit with how the kids on the show were so happy even though they couldn't walk. Eventually she decided that God loved them, so they could be happy. When I tucked her in bed, she wanted her bedtime story to be about the kids who couldn't walk, but were happy. She's as sweet as apple pie!

2 comments:

IUgirl78 said...

Okay, first of all--Allison is just too cute! Second, I cannot believe this, but Reese watched the same episode of "Extreme Makeover" and was questioning why those two girls were in wheelchairs as well. We even had to record it and show her the ending the next night since it was past her bedtime. That is just too funny that they saw the same show! I like the way you explained it to her and think that it's PRECIOUS what she wanted her bedtime story to be about. You have a little doll, that's for sure!

Jen said...

Oh, I'm going to cry Kel. That is the sweetest story about Allison. She has a huge heart. What a wonderful lesson on suffering and God's love. From a child's eyes....so amazing. Thanks for sharing and impressive stuff on the apple pies. Can't believe you made crust from scratch. You're one patient woman!!!