Our Family

Our Family
Easter 2010

Monday, September 14, 2009

While we're on the topic of biting...

I am completely addicted to the Twilight series. I have already finished the first book and am now 450 pages into New Moon. I have Eclipse and Breaking Dawn waiting for me when I finish.

At first I was skeptical and wasn't planning to read these books, but I got rather curious. Working with teenagers, I like to try and keep up with them so I have some way to connect to the things they are interested in. So many of the students (mainly female) were reading these books. If you haven't seen one, they are long...I'm talking 600-750 pages each! Books that long are NOT what you typically find your run of the mill teenager reading. This alone intrigued me. Then, toward the end of the school year I was sitting in a conference for a special services student. She is a self-proclaimed non-reader. I noticed she had a Twilight book with her, so in an effort to make conversation I asked her about it. You should have seen her eyes light up. I clearly remember her saying to me, "Mrs. Renier, you have to read this book! I don't like to read, but I love this book and I can't wait to read the next one." This floored me and I decided then and there I would read Twilight.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I haven't read these books yet, but I'd like to. I am just now thinking I need to start reading for pleasure again. These might be a good start!

IUgirl78 said...

I just started Breaking Dawn last night! I read the first three close together and have been holding out on the last one just because I don't want it to end! It was funny b/c then I ended up having a weird dream about Edward and Bella. Maybe I should not read about vampires right before bedtime. :) I am normally not one who would gravitate towards those kinds of books, but I have to say that I was intrigued by all of the buzz about them. You'll have to let me know what you think about New Moon when you are finished!