Ok Mommy Friends, I need any words of wisdom you have to offer. This evening the girls were sitting at the table eating apples. Pretty soon Peyton is out of her seat and playing on the floor. Next, she is under the table and Allison screams because Peyton just bit her leg. This all happened for no apparent reason. Then when I was getting her ready for bed, she kept trying to bite my arm.
Has anyone else had a little biter? Advice?
3 comments:
I clearly have no first hand advice, though Blaise does seem to have "attack mode" somtimes...BUT, a colleague of mine had this problem with his son. His wife is a Pediatrician and she starting biting back! Apparently that worked once he realized that what he was doing hurt others. Not sure what the debate about biting back is, but this at least seemed to work for them.
(The kid bit my colleague's leg at a summer wedding when he was wearing white pants...nice blood stain to go with your wine :) )
Good Luck! (can't wait to see what others say for future reference!)
I remember my aunt telling me to bite my cute little cousin back when she bit me. I was about 10 and could not fathom biting my cousin, who was about 2. I can't remember if I ever did, but the memory is still there.
Ryan started doing this when he was 1 just playfully--not in a mean way. We would immediately lay him down on the floor, hold his shoulders, and look at him in the eyes and say, "No bite!" (It sounds mean, but we were just trying to get his attention.) Good luck!
We had another biting episode on Saturday night at a wedding reception. Once again it was Ally's leg (poor girl!). Fortunately Peyton has not drawn blood with any of her bites.
I use a similar technique to drive home the message, Kristy. Not just with biting, but when she gets a bit out of control, I tell her to look at my face. This usually works to stop the behavior at that time. I think it's because she has to focus on me and what I'm telling her instead of on the behavior.
Post a Comment